Field Worker Job Description
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Preference given to those with prior vegetable farming experience
- Our work is physically and mentally demanding, with long hours outdoors in all weather. Great stamina, and in particular strong back and knees are essential.
- Ability to lift 50lb regularly
Our Daily Work
Most tasks require quality work at a quick pace, often under pressure:
- Planting, harvesting and washing/packing vegetables
- Pest control, weeding & irrigation
- Greenhouse and tunnel work
- Poultry chores
- Endless problem-solving
- Hosting CSA distributions weekly June-Oct
- Experience with farming or other outdoor, physical work
- Quick hands & commitment to improving task efficiency
Ability to absorb and integrate detailed instruction and feedback
Positive & collaborative attitude
Strong observation skills
Adaptability to roll with rapidly shifting task priorities
Hours & Remuneration
We are an Ontario Living Wage certified employer
$20/hr starting wage, 6-7.5mth contract April-Nov OR short-season position (May 1- Aug 31)
- 40-50 hr/wk Mon-Fri, typically 6am-4pm June-Aug. (Occasional weekend work for chores and special events)
- 1 wk holidays paid at 75% (3 days for 4 Short Season position)
- 1-2 professional development days (depending on season length)
- plenty of vegetables & eggs for personal consumption.
As our team is small and everyone is essential, commitment to a full season of work is required.
- Infrastructure & General Handy-skills: We are looking for at least 1 staff to have significant experience and skill with tools & equipment: power tool proficiency, basic construction & structural repairs, general fix-it and mechanical prowess. While this position would be primarily a field work position, it would also involve responsibility for repairs and maintenance of infrastructure including greenhouses, irrigation, cooler, tractor implements etc.
- Tractor Experience: In-row cultivation & other tasks incl spreading compost & row marking with our Farmall 140. Implement adjustments & basic mechanical aptitude.
Send resume and a letter outlining your relevant work and farming experiences, as well as your motivations for working with us to: email@example.com
Applicants from members of BIPOC & LGBTQ+ communities are welcome.
Please note: While we don't provide on-farm housing, St. Agatha and West Waterloo are within reasonable biking distance, and we are only 10-20 mins drive from town.